Saturday 12 March 2011

[resolved] SOS! FOSTER/ADOPT: Cookie - alert, curious, energetic, handsome 2yo male mongrel




I have a 2-year-old mongrel named Cookie. He was found by me at the basketball court in my neighbourhood back in Jan 2009 when he was just about 4-5 months old. I picked him up because he had a harness on him and he smelled of Dettol, and I thought he belonged to someone else and was lost. The next few days were spent putting up "Found" posters in the vicinity, trying to look for his owner but no one claimed him. I later found out that the old folks at the senior citizens' corner were the ones who put the harness on him and fed him, and he was still a stray after all.

I wasn't financially stable to keep him then (and I'm still struggling now) and I currently have a 12-year-old JRT with renal failure to care for. This past year or so has been a constant struggle to keep Cookie due to my other sick dog, my limited financial capability, limited space in my home (I stay in a 4-room HDB flat with 4 other family members) and my neighbours.

Since I found him until now, the Town Council, AVA and finally HDB has come several times to check up on my mongrel. I've tried hiding him for awhile and bringing him back home but each time I do, my neighbours complain again and the authorities come again. The relationships between my family and my neighbours are deteriorating more and more as each day passes, even ending up in face-to-face confrontations. I've received several warning letters from the HDB and countless visits to my home to check on my dogs. I was also fined once for keeping 2 dogs in an HDB flat, with one not HDB-approved and without a license.

Since then, I've gotten Cookie a license under another address but have yet to show it in times of need because I don't want to get the kind people who offered me their address, into trouble.

I picked him up that fateful day because I thought someone owned him, but when no one claimed him, I couldn't bear to throw him back in the streets. Now I've grown attached to him and vice versa, and it breaks my heart completely that I have to put him somewhere else but at the end of the day, I simply have no choice.

I hereby appeal for a kind soul to help out, whether it's in the form of fostering or rehoming him. I'd like to visit Cookie when I can. Below are some of his details.

Animal's name: Cookie
Age: About 2 years old
Gender: Male
Breed: Mongrel

Vaccinated? Once

Sterilised? No, but I am saving up to do so in order to aid his energetic behaviour

Health condition? Healthy, but sometimes chews on his paw pads and body, scratches his ears due to itch

Physical description? Handsome black-brown colour, looks like he has German Shepherd blood in him.

Personality/temperament?
Mischievous, energetic and curious, possessive with food, a little stubborn and dominant, very very alert and smart. He was lost ONCE before, because the fosterer didn't lock her gate and he ran away. I found him back at the SPCA after 3 weeks. I suspect it's due to unknown trauma (traffic, sudden change of environment) during his missing period that has changed him into a jittery and stressed dog, especially when in unfamiliar surroundings.

He's timid when on walks and is afraid of loud noises like buses and lorries, children on bicycles or old ladies pushing their grocery trolleys, thunder and sudden actions from strangers (eg. sudden running towards him).

Toilet trained?
When he's in my home, he knows how to use the pee tray all the time. But I've put him at home boarding before and it seems he forgets, or doesn't comply.

Understands basic commands? Knows how to "sit" and "shake hand".

Good with other pets? Never tried.

Good with children? Never tried.

Why is it being put up for fostering/adoption? As described above.

Where is it now? At my home.

How long can the current fosterer keep it for? HDB gave me until the 23rd of Dec the last time they came to check, and that's way past the due date by now. They haven't followed up yet but I think they would any time now.

Other comments:
Cookie has become very special to me in the past 2 years, and he's very attached to me. He needs a firm hand and very patient person to care for him. I know, because I was patient with him, and he's become a lot better since his puppy days where I couldn't even stay out of sight or he'd cry. I would care for him for the rest of my life if the circumstances were different.

He was a stray before, and the whole reason of picking him off the streets was to change that. But my neighbours have made it so bad that he has no home to go to right now. It's caused me a lot of stress and sleepless nights knowing that he'd be leaving me and I won't see him each morning anymore when I wake up, and I don't know if it'd be better if I know he's in good hands but I hope so.

He is a special boy who's brought a lot of joy and laughter to me, and I know his personality/temperament sounds like a handful, but he really just needs a lot of understanding with all that he's been through. Please be patient with him, and I'd be eternally grateful to any kind souls out there who are willing to extend a helping hand.

[wed 5 jan 2011. shared on request. source: e-mail, wed 5 jan 2011.]

sat 21 may 2011
cookie is now boarding at a pet farm